TDS Telecom has put the final touches on a broadband stimulus project around Medford and Stetsonville, Wis., extending service to area businesses and nearly 1,400 residents.
The telco previously completed a portion of this project in mid-November.
For this network build, TDS installed nearly 84 miles of fiber cabling and 18 Remote Terminal (RT) cabinets, which protect the broadband loop carrier and related network electronics, throughout its Midway Telephone Company footprint.
TDS projected the cost of this project to be about $6.2 million. The rural utilities services (RUS) grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (about $1.6 million) to expand broadband to more area businesses and residents.
This is one of 11 broadband projects TDS Telecom received RUS grant for in its home state of Wisconsin. In May, the service provider completed a broadband stimulus project serving six counties in central Wisconsin, a buildout that will extend broadband services to about 1,900 area households.
Through the aid American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), TDS said it has already expanded access to high-speed Internet service to almost 30,000 households across the territories it serves in the United States.